Searching for a fulfilling legal career that also offers you the healthy work-life balance necessary to juggle the demands of today’s busy life? CURE Auto Insurance has a Coverage Attorney position open that affords you the ability to achieve just that, all with no billable hour requirements.
Why work for CURE?
- You’ll have an opportunity to work beside a first-rate team of subject matter experts in the fields of law, insurance and business operations!
- You will work for a company that provides a wellness culture, excellent benefits, and first-rate amenities at our beautiful corporate office in Princeton, NJ!
The Claims Coverage Attorney (Internal Claims Counsel – Litigation) is responsible for providing ethical, objective and timely legal advice to other members of internal counsel and Claims partners on first party claims, coverage matters, and/or liability defense claims coverage matters. Handles coverage matters of moderate to high complexity and/or financial consequence. Works with Claims management to provide expert legal advice on risk exposure, policy interpretation, claims strategy, and claims handling protocols. Participates and provides support and legal assistance for the policy drafting committees regarding new policies, endorsements and modifications.
Essential Job Functions:
- Work with internal counsel in conjunction with claims to strategize, implement and manage litigation cases, including trial and expense control.
- Integral role in identifying, evaluating, and analyzing coverage issues with the ability to determine legal strategies and positions, while also providing advice on potential outcomes.
- Planning, taking, and defending depositions and examinations under oath, in coordination with internal counsel and claims.
- Preparing and responding to pleadings and discovery.
- Travel to attend motion hearings, arbitration hearings, and all other pre-trial matters, up to 50% of time (primarily non-overnight, valid state-issued Driver’s License required).
- Ability to prepare for and try cases.
- Ability to draft and argue post-trial motions and appeals.
- Negotiating high-level settlement agreements.
- JD required from an ABA-accredited law school.
- Admitted to practice, and in good standing, with NJ State Bar.
- PA and/or NY admission preferred; Michigan, a plus.
- Minimum of 3 - 4 years as an attorney handling matters involving insurance policies, coverage disputes and litigation.
- Experience independently managing a caseload of complex insurance coverage and defense matters, working cases from beginning to end.
- Excellent research, writing, and presentation communication skills.
- Ability to think critically, analyze complex information, and problem-solve with expedience.
- Highly collaborative working style with demonstrated commitments to meeting individual and team goals.
- Strong customer service skills, the ability to collaborate with business partners to identify and implement solutions to complex business and legal challenges.
- Must be adaptable and computer savvy with an ability to navigate multiple systems.
Physical Actions/Environment: Working conditions are typical of an office environment. Required job duties consist prompt and regular attendance, ability to frequently move about the office to coordinate work with others; standing, sitting and typing for extended periods; and lifting and/or carrying up to 5 lbs. Ability to frequently communicate with others in-person, on the phone/virtually, and in writing. Ability to read, understand, process and evaluate large amounts of technical information and make related, informed decisions. Ability to travel (primarily non-overnight) to attend hearing, motions, and other legal proceedings (valid state-issued Driver’s License required), up to 50% of time.
All selected applicants will be required to complete the Predictive Index (PI) Assessment as part of CURE’s hiring process. Any applicant who requires a reasonable accommodation to complete the assessment may make a request to the HR Department (see EEO Statement).
Schedule: Full-time; typically performs a daytime schedule, some evening or weekend work may be required on occasion.
CURE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment is to hire the most qualified candidate, without discrimination or harassment based on race, color, national origin, religion, age, sex, disability, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by the law. Consistent with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and NJ Law Against Discrimination, it is the policy of CURE to provide reasonable accommodation when requested by a qualified applicant or employee with a disability, unless such accommodation would cause an undue hardship. The policy regarding requests for reasonable accommodation applies to all aspects of employment, including the application process. If reasonable accommodation is needed, please contact CURE Human Resources Department at 1-800-535-2873 or firstname.lastname@example.org.