POSITION SUMMARY: Intake Registration Clerk interviews incoming patients or their representatives and prepares registration forms for signature, verifies insurance eligibility, benefits, authorization for services, and other information pertinent to registration, and processes charges into the computer system for services rendered. This position also includes functions of cashier, telephone operator, and health information clerk.
Provides a positive front office impression for all patients entering the site for medical services
Welcomes customers appropriately and answers questions in a manner consistent with best customer service standards
Addresses patients professionally and respectfully in the completion of their duties
Monitors wait times to assist in positive patient throughput; communicating any potential issues or delays to their immediate supervisor.
Communicates any delays with the patients positively as instructed
Responsible for registration process
As per the PMHD HIS system requirements, collects all pertinent patient information required to successfully complete an accurate and thorough patient registration.
Obtains necessary signatures on registration forms.
Explains clinic policies regarding registration and third party payers.
Properly explains the Medicare MSP form to Medicare patients as required.
When required, obtains proper authorization for services prior to such services being rendered
Documents account activity and financial status as necessary in notes
Schedules patient appointments accurately within the sites scheduling system
Collects necessary information to establish appointment and communicates any necessary instructions to the patient
Performs follow up and/or reminder calls as necessary to ensure a reduced no-show rate and increase patient compliance with scheduled appointments
Performs basic Health Information functions (paper and/or EMR as applicable):
Assembles and/or scans chart documents in proper order
Properly utilizes the document imaging program as designated by PMHD
If used, maintains the filing system in the designated area
Confidentiality and security of patient health information
Obtains authorization for release of records and verifies the validity of requestor
If required, assembles nightly documentation for transportation to HIM department for coding
Protects the PHI of patients through the registration/intake process
Performs general clerical functions
Answers telephones calls efficiently, politely, and as quickly as possible
Types, compiles necessary reports as requested
Participates in filing/scanning as directed:
- Lab and ancillary reports into medical record
- Completed charts in the permanent file system in correct terminal digit order
- Maintains filing systems to ensure accuracy and completeness of work within the department
- Responsible for financial functions such as
- Balances cash drawers
- Accepts payments
- Generates receipts for patients & guarantors
- Demonstrates an understanding of Admission Policies and Procedures in performing job duties and instructing patients. Routinely uses Admissions Policy and Procedure manual and other reference materials
- Utilizes the HIS, EMR and Scheduling systems to their full capacity in support of departmental functions.
- OTHER RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Promotes a positive patient/interfacility relation and a caring environment.
- Maintains knowledge in various intake topics such as ABN’s (Advanced Beneficiary Notices), Advanced Directives, Patient Rights, Insurance (Commercial and Government payors) & the PMHD Charity Policy.
- Performs similar job related duties as assigned.