Under the supervision of the Chief Operating Officer, the Community Housing Specialist’s primary role is to assists with housing search and placement along with leveraging supportive services that will assist the participant household to maintain permanent housing. The program is the Project Keystone Rapid Re-housing Program. The project is a scattered site transition-in-place/rapid re-housing program that promotes consumer choice in housing within the private rental market.
SUMMARY OF POSITION
Provides a variety of office and field activities to manage and monitor a rapid re-housing/transition-in-place program for families, performs direct client services, and compiles related documentation.
Work involves orienting all eligible participants to the program and providing housing search and supportive services to promote participants self-sufficiency, integration into the community, and permanency in housing; performing administrative tasks involved in the review and maintenance of a caseload of program participants. The principal duties are performed both in a general office environment and in the field and community where program participants reside.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This list is not exhaustive and may be supplemented as necessary.
1. Assess housing barriers of individuals and families experiencing homelessness to determine housing and service needs.
2. Develop a housing procurement, financial, and self-sufficiency case management plan with clients. This shall include intake interview to determine client’s needs, goals, and eligibility.
3. Provide mediation and advocacy with property owners on the client’s behalf to develop a workable plan to obtain and or maintain housing.
4. Assist participants in locating and securing housing of their choice.
5. Create and maintain consistent communication channels, both verbal and written, between several parties (i.e. tenant, landlord, referral source, collaborating agencies, debtors and creditors).
6. Serve as an ongoing liaison between property managers and participants as well as between participants and neighbors.
7. Provide information and referral assistance regarding available support from appropriate social service agencies and/or community programs.
8. Assist participants in development of a strength-based/solution-focused individualized goal and action plan that promotes permanent housing and self-sufficiency; develop an effective, timely referral network in order to ensure ongoing direction and support as needed.
9. Apply knowledge of residential lease contracts to educate clients of their rights and responsibilities.
10. Collect and report program data, including but not limited to ARIES/HMIS reporting and funders’ required data.
• Requires knowledge and belief in “Housing First” philosophy and strategies.
• Minimum Education Requirements: Bachelor Degree in Human Services preferred or a minimum of a two (2) years degree in Human related services and two years related experience.
• Excellent communication skills, particularly listening, mediation, and writing skills.
• Possess strong organizational skills with ability to meet a demanding workload.
• Detail oriented to complete requirements of files and contract compliance.
• Creative thinker/adaptive personality.
• Demonstrate knowledge of community resources, social service agencies, and landlords.
• Fluency in the English language is required. Spanish speaking ability is an added asset, but is not required.
• Experience with computer and knowledge of Microsoft Office.
• A valid driver license is required.
• Sensitivity to cultural and socioeconomic characteristics of population served.
• A commitment to empowering others to solve their own problems.
• A conviction about the capacity of people to grow and change.
• The ability to establish and set appropriate limits with persons served to help them gain skills and confidence
• The ability to work collaboratively with other personnel and/or service providers or professionals.
• The capacity to maintain a role to empower clients and to intervene appropriately to meet service goals.
Regular office hours are 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday
This is a full time position that will require occasional additional hours.
Interested persons should reply via email with a cover letter with salary requirements.
report this job.